These crackers are surprisingly easy to make. They have the perfect crunch with a buttery taste…top with your favorite cheese or spread with peanut butter!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp + another 1/2 tsp salt for topping
- 6 tbsp cold unsalted butter + 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Put the flour, baking powder, sugar, and 1/2 tsp of salt in the food processor.
- Pulse to combine.
- Add cold butter a few small pats at a time, and pulse to combine.
- Add vegetable oil. Pulse to combine.
- Add water a little bit at a time. Pulse to combine after each addition. The dough should start to form a ball.
- Roll dough out as thin as you can.
- Use cookie cutters to cut the dough out.
- Poke holes in the dough in the Ritz pattern or any pattern you like. Keep in mind that the holes are not just decorative; they help the crackers to bake correctly.
- Bake the crackers on a parchment lined baking sheet for ten minutes or until the crackers just begin to brown.
- While the crackers are baking, melt the remaining butter and mix in the remaining salt
- As soon as you remove the crackers from the oven, brush them with the salty butter
We chose to halve the recipe, and ended up making the crackers much smaller than normal.
We used a Snapple’s bottle to cut the Ritz crackers into circles. Yay for improvising!
To avoid uneven color or burnt crackers, turn the baking sheet with the crackers every two or three minutes in the oven.