For a family member’s birthday, we made this simple and delicious cake. The batter is quick to whip up, and the cake has the perfect sweetness and moistness. This cake is versatile with so many options for toppings and flavors of icing. It is great with a cup of tea in the afternoon for a snack or with a frothy cup of milk for a light late night dessert.
Anything Layer Cake
Makes one 8″ layer
200 g of Sugar
200 g of Butter
200-300 g of Flour
8.25 g of Baking powder
1) Preheat oven to 375oF
2) In a medium bowl, combine butter and sugar together until well beaten. Add eggs and beat.
3) In a smaller bowl, combine flour and baking powder together. Mix well.
4) Gradually add the flour mixture into a medium bowl (with the butter, sugar, and eggs) until well combined. When I added 250 g of flour, the batter had a cookie-dough consistency and the cake was more crumbly than moist. Add less flour for a softer, moister cake.
5) Once the batter is well-mixed, fill into a greased 8″ round tin cake pan (or whatever pan, any shape, you wish to bake a cake in). Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
6) Let the cake to cool. Once chilled, ice the cake with your favorite icing, glaze, or top with pudding and fresh fruit. Or even eat it plain, dusted with powdered sugar. Serve warm or chilled. I iced the cake with nutella and garnered a fresh fruit compote (fresh plums, blueberries, and peaches from the garden) and whipped some Greek yogurt for the side.
Source: Recipe from my Host family in Germany. Vielen dank fuer das rezept!
Please comment, share, and like. Let us know what you think. Bon Appetit!